Friday, August 5, 2011

Inspriation... Where are you?

I seem to have no inspiration for today's post... actually, that's not true, and I cannot tell a lie... I have lots of inspiration for today's post... just nothing so interesting I can talk about it for long enough to make it a real post...

EXCEPT!

This...

SPAGHETTI WITH ROASTED ZUCCHINI

Serves 2
2 medium zucchini, sliced into ½-in. rounds
Olive oil
½ cup chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of ½ lemon
1½ tsp. butter
¼ cup fresh bread crumbs (I used canned crumbs)
1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
6 oz. spaghetti
¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
¼ cup Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 450. Place zucchini on a sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 10-15 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven and set aside.

2. In a 12-in. saute pan, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil. Saute onions over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Stir in zucchini and lemon zest. Remove pan from heat.

3. Melt butter in small skillet over low heat. Add bread crumbs and saute until lightly browned. Let cool, stir in mint and set aside. (You don't need to do this step if you use canned crumbs)

4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 9 minutes. Drain, reserving ¼ cup of pasta cooking water. Add pasta to zucchini mixture. Add olives and reserved water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and sprinkle in cheese. Toss pasta until cheese melts. Divide between two bowls. Top with bread crumbs. 


We tried this recipe last Friday before Husband's 10 mile run on Saturday.  I ripped it out of the magazine the other day and made note that it seemed like a good "carb filled" meal for the night before a long run.  It did not disappoint, it was really delicious!  There are just a few things I would change:

1) I added a grilled chicken breast in -- cubed and split between the two of us (or in searching for this recipe online I saw someone added shrimp, that would be good too!)
2) I would add Mushrooms next time
3) I would half the mint, it was a little strong.
4) I 86'd the olives... I'm so not a fan.

After Hubby finished his plate he asked me if there was any more, always a good sign to "keep it in the rotation."

PS, I prepared this post yesterday, except I couldn't find the recipe anywhere online... I searched for an hour, then gave up.  However, I gave it one last shot and found it this morning!   So anywhere it says "today" just think Yesterday :-) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...